domenica 9 dicembre 2007

Map your mind

picture from Google images

Hi everybody!
Today I'm going to show you how my PLE (Personal Learning Environment) is structured, and so how my mind functions (or try to). To do that, I based my reflections on the definition, given by Martin, which doesn't limit to technologies, but offers a generic definition which includes anything can help us to learn: “a combination of the formal and informal tools and processes we use to gather information, reflect on it and do something with it, which is essentially what we mean when we talk about learning”.
After reflecting a while about my way of learning languages I chose to organize my PLE in these 4 points ( here you can see my PLE's map):

1- Gathering information: I can collect new information in a wide number of situations both formal (school courses with teachers, exercises and books) and informal (listening to songs, surfing the Net, traveling). During this course, we got to know some new tools, such as Bloglines, del.icio.us and podcasts, which can help our informal learning surfing the Net; this will be very useful in our "after-degree life", because we won't be attending lessons any more and the Net will be the primary way we'll have to practice our English and learn something new.
Furthermore, in my life is going to appear another important source of new information, which is both formal and informal: the Erasmus experience! From January to June I'm going to live "immersed"in English culture and language: in addition to the formal English courses I'm going to attend, I'll be "forced" to speak English in every moment in order to "survive":-)
I'm convinced that this experience will be very useful and my English will take a great advantage from it! I'm looking forward to leave!

2- Reflecting and exchanging information: Once I've gathered a new piece of information, I can share it with people around me ( e.g. my peers, my friends, people in general) and the best tool to do that is my blog. In it, I can write what I learned and people can comment on it, so, discussing and exchanging opinions, I increase my knowledges.

3- Using information: I think the information I gather are useless if I don't find how to use them in my daily life. Only in this way, they become deeply mine and play an active role to my cultural and personal growth.

4- How : I can learn something new about a language in many ways. For example, I can listen to a conversation, to a TV program or to a song; I can improve my skills writing either on my blog or some e-mails to a foreign University; surely, speaking with a native English (or Spanish or French or German) speaker is very useful to learn colloquial expressions and improve my fluency, which is always one of my weakest points. Finally I think that one of the best ways to learn is making mistakes and, obviously, try to correct them.

Bye!

Nessun commento: